Strawberry cupcakes

April 30, 2010 · 12 comments

in recipes

This blog is badly in need of a cupcake update. How long has it been now, like a whole month? Too long…too long.

Luckily, one of my most hilarious and clever friends had a birthday recently. Someone asked Farrell if he could “twist my arm” into making cupcakes for the occasion.

Done. It’s twisted. No need to convince me to be that girl who always brings baked goods to parties.

I had a fridge full of fresh fruits that were in danger of disintegrating into a puddle if I didn’t plan out how to use them soon, so I badgered and prodded (and bullied) the birthday girl for preferences.

I eventually got an answer out of her: strawberry!

These cupcakes were a big hit at the party. I did have some trouble achieving a stiffer frosting though; I was really looking forward to trying out my new cake decorating tips! I had to settle for little flower-blobs, but everybody insisted that they preferred the thinner, glaze-like frosting over a tall butter cream (much like the skyscrapers that top those found at most DC cupcakeries).

Overall I would call this a successful recipe, the cupcakes turned out moist and the strawberry flavor was exquisite. I can’t wait to try Annie’s original recipe, a cool summer strawberry-lemonade treat that adds lemon syrup to the mix. It’s on my to-bake list, does anybody else have a birthday coming up?

- Strawberry Cupcakes - adapted from Annie’s Eats
Yield: two dozen cupcakes

Cupcake:
2 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
zest of one lime (mine was on the smaller side)
12 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped

Frosting:
1 cup fresh strawberries, roughly chopped
12 oz cream cheese, room temperature
18 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
2 2/3 cups confectioners’ sugar, sifted
1 tsp vanilla extract

- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Prepare the cupcake batter first. Mix together flour, baking powder, salt and lime zest in a bowl. Cream butter and sugar on medium speed until sugar is dissolved and butter is light and fluffy. Beat in each egg until it is fully incorporated, one at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl to ensure that everything is evenly mixed. Add half of the flour mixture and beat on low speed until just combined, then add half of the milk and mix until smooth. Repeat with remaining flour and milk. Fold in strawberry pieces.
- Line two cupcake tins with liners and fill each about 3/4 full; this batch can be stretched to make exactly two dozen cupcakes if you have a keen eye for measuring the batter. Bake for about 23-25 minutes and let cool completely before frosting.

- To prepare the frosting, puree the strawberry pieces in a food processor and strain. Put aside.
- Beat the cream cheese and butter on medium speed for about five minutes, until light and fluffy. Add powdered sugar and beat until smooth. Add vanilla extract and mix until just combined. Add as much strawberry puree to achieve your desired consistency and flavor. I added about six tablespoons. Frost cupcakes as desired and enjoy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

{ 1 trackback }

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Dana April 30, 2010 at 8:18 pm

Those look like lovely cupcakes! The frosting looks like little clouds. I bet birthday girl really appreciated them.

2 tasteofbeirut May 1, 2010 at 3:17 pm

These look so pretty and dainty! Definitely a teatime cupcake!

3 Ellie (Almost Bourdain) May 4, 2010 at 4:48 am

The flower shaped icing looks so pretty!

4 Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella May 4, 2010 at 11:39 pm

Very pretty flower detail in the pale pink icing and I like the bits of strawberry!

5 Tarrah Dame May 18, 2010 at 10:05 pm

yum! nice pictures! just made strawberry cupcakes myself! :)

6 Wendy May 27, 2010 at 9:38 am

do you think these could be made two days ahead of time (Friday for a Sunday party) and stored in an air-tight container in the fridge?

Thanks very much…they look wonderful!

7 Kirstin @ ivorypomegranate May 27, 2010 at 7:03 pm

Thanks Wendy! I suppose they could be made in advance, I would suggest keeping the frosting off of them until sometime on Sunday though, otherwise the cupcakes might get too mushy. I hope you make them and love them :)

8 Trisha Delacruz May 31, 2010 at 3:22 pm

Heh I am actually the first reply to this amazing post?

9 Rachel February 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm

I made these cupcakes and everyone loved them! I only had a couple of issues (which is good, since I’m basically inept when it comes to baking):
1. The cupcake mixture turned out really thick so that I had a hard time scooping it into the cupcake liners. Did yours turn out the same way/did I make a mistake?
2. The texture of my frosting was really different from yours. It ended up looking somewhat curdled – like pink mashed potatoes or something. I love the frosting otherwise, so I would really like to know how I can fix this, if possible.
Thanks so much! These really were delicious :)

10 admin February 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I’m so glad you liked them!! It’s been a LONG time since I made these, but I think I remember the batter being a bit stiff. Maybe add more liquid next time? As for the frosting, it sounds like maybe your butter and cream cheese were too cold, or maybe you didn’t whip them enough, so it didn’t quite blend right. You have to be sure to really whip it all up until it’s super smooth. Good luck if you happen to try them again!

11 Rachel February 13, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Haha I didn’t even notice how long ago this recipe was posted! I found it on Foodgawker. But thanks for your help; I can’t wait to try to make these again :)